Accessibility links

Breaking News

EXPLORATIONS — Project Apollo, Part 2: Apollo 11 - 2003-08-19

Broadcast: August 20, 2003



Explorations -- a program in Special English by the Voice of America.


(Apollo Eleven Countdown)

A rocket launch countdown. A common sound in the nineteen-sixties. But this was not just another launch. It was the beginning of an historic event. It was the countdown for Apollo Eleven -- the space flight that would carry men to the first landing on the moon.

(Countdown continues)

The ground shook at Cape Kennedy, Florida the morning of July sixteenth, nineteen-sixty nine. The huge Saturn Five rocket moved slowly up into the sky. It rose perfectly. Someone on the launch crew spoke the words, "Good luck. And Godspeed. "

Today, Steve Ember and Dick Rael tell the story of the flight of Apollo Eleven.


In the spacecraft at the top of the speeding rocket were three American astronauts whose names soon would be known around the world. Neil Armstrong, Edwin Aldrin and Michael Collins.

Neil Armstrong was the commander of the spacecraft. He was a test pilot. He had flown earlier on one of the two-man Gemini space flights. Armstrong was a calm person, a man who talked very little.

Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin was pilot of the moon lander vehicle. The astronauts gave it the name "Eagle." Aldrin had flown on the last of the Gemini flights. He also was a quiet man, except when he talked about space.

Michael Collins was the pilot of the command module vehicle, "Columbia." He also had made a Gemini flight. He would wait in orbit around the moon while Armstrong and Aldrin landed and explored the surface. Collins was very popular and always ready with a smile.


Two-and-one-half minutes after the Apollo Eleven launch, the first-stage rocket separated from the spacecraft. Twelve minutes later, the spacecraft reached orbit. Its speed was twenty-nine-thousand kilometers an hour. Its orbit was one-hundred-sixty-five kilometers above the Earth.

This was the time for the crew to test all the spacecraft systems. Everything worked perfectly. So, the NASA flight director told them they were "go" for the moon. They fired the third-stage rocket. It increased the speed of the spacecraft to forty-thousand kilometers an hour. This was fast enough to

escape the pull of the Earth's gravity.

Apollo Eleven was on its way to the moon. In seventy-seven hours, if all went well, Apollo Eleven would be there.


Halfway to the moon, the astronauts broadcast a color television program to Earth. The broadcast showed how the astronauts lived in the spacecraft. It showed their instruments, food storage, and details of how they moved and worked without gravity to give them weight. The television broadcast also showed the Earth behind Apollo Eleven. And it showed the moon growing larger in the blackness ahead.

As hours passed, the pull of the moon's gravity grew stronger. Near the moon, the astronauts fired rockets to slow the spacecraft enough to put it into moon orbit.


Apollo Eleven circled the moon while the crew prepared for the landing. Finally, spacecraft commander Armstrong and NASA flight controllers agreed it was time to separate the lander module "Eagle" from the command module "Columbia."

Armstrong and Aldrin moved through the small opening between the two spacecraft. Then they moved Eagle away from Columbia. Armstrong reported, "The Eagle has wings!" The lunar module was ready. Men were about to land on the moon.

On Earth, all activity seemed to stop. President Richard Nixon gave federal government workers the day off to watch the moon landing on television.

Around the world, five-hundred-million people watched the television report. Countless millions more listened on their radios.


Armstrong and Aldrin fired the lander rocket engine. The firing slowed the spacecraft and sent it down toward the landing place. It was in an area known as the "Sea of Tranquility. "

The lunar lander, controlled by a computer, dropped toward the airless surface of the moon. One-hundred-forty meters from the surface, the astronauts took control of the lander from the computer. They moved Eagle forward, away from a very rocky area that might have caused a difficult landing.

The voices of Aldrin and Armstrong could be heard in short messages. "Forward. . . Forward. . . Good. Forty feet. Kicking up some dust. Big shadow. Drifting to the right a little. Contact light. Okay. Engine stop. "

Armstrong reported, "Tranquility base here. The Eagle has landed!"


NASA's plan had called for the astronauts to test instruments, eat and then rest for four hours before leaving the Eagle. But Armstrong and Aldrin asked to cancel the four-hour sleep period. They wanted to go out onto the moon as soon as they could get ready.

NASA controllers agreed.

It took the astronauts more than three hours to complete the preparations for leaving the lander. It was difficult -- in Eagle's small space -- to get into space suits that would protect them on the moon's surface.


Finally, Armstrong and Aldrin were ready. They opened the door. Armstrong went out first and moved slowly down the ladder. At two hours fifty-six Greenwich Mean Time on July twentieth, nineteen-sixty-nine, Neil Armstrong put his foot on the moon.

"That’s one small step for man," he said, "One giant leap for mankind."

The world could see the history-making event on television. But the man who was closest to what was happening, Michael Collins, could only listen. He was orbiting the moon in the command module Columbia. It did not have a television receiver.


Armstrong moved carefully away from the Eagle. He left the cold, black shadow of the lander and stepped into the blinding white light of the sun.

On Earth, all was quiet. No sound came from televisions or radios. No one felt able to talk about what was happening.

Armstrong began to describe what he saw. "The surface appears to be very, very fine grain, like a powder. I can kick it loosely with my toes. I can see footprints of my boots in the small, fine particles. No trouble to walk around.”


Aldrin appeared on the ladder. Down he came, very slowly.

Soon, both men were busy placing experiments to be left behind on the moon. They collected more than thirty kilograms of rock and soil to take back to Earth. They moved easily and quickly, because the moon's gravity is six times less than Earth's.

Hours passed. Too soon, it was time to return to the Eagle. Armstrong and Aldrin re-entered the lander. They rested for a while. Then they began to prepare to launch the lander for the return flight to the orbiting command module.


Listeners on Earth heard the countdown from Tranquility Base. "Three, two, one. . . first stage engine on ascent. Proceed. Beautiful. Twenty-six. . . thirty-six feet per second up. Very smooth, very quiet ride." Eagle was flying. Man had been on the moon for twenty-one and one-half hours.

Eagle moved into the orbit of the command module. It connected with Columbia. Armstrong and Aldrin rejoined Collins in the command ship. They separated from Eagle and said good-bye to it. The lander had done its job well.


Eight days after it started its voyage to the moon, Apollo Eleven splashed down in the Pacific Ocean. Left behind on the moon were the footprints of Armstrong and Aldrin, an American flag and scientific equipment. Also left forever on the moon is a sign with these words:

"Here men from the planet Earth first set foot on the Moon -- July, nineteen-sixty-nine A. D. We came in peace for all mankind. "



This Special English program was written by Marilyn Rice Christiano. It was produced by Caty Weaver. Your narrators were Steve Ember and Dick Rael. This is Phoebe Zimmermann. Listen again next week at this time to Explorations on the Voice of America as we continue the story of the Apollo space flight program.